Monday 24 January 2011

I have to write on this subject (Why are verses made?)

I have recently been reading an essay by the Russian poet Mayakovsky that follows his sentiments towards the act of writing poetry; namely detailing the things needed to begin writing and following this with how he actually constructed his verse.

He sets out five basic propositions that he believed were indispensable when beginning poetical work:

1. "The presence of a problem in society, the solution of which is conceivable only in poetical terms. A social command."

2. "An exact knowledge, or rather sense, of the desires of your class (or group you represent) on a given question..."

3. "Words." He believed that the broader your lexis the more materials you would have for poetic construction, and therefore the richer your work would be.

4. "Equipment for the plant and tools for the assembly line." I guess this is equatable with Woolf's idea of requiring 'a room of one's own' etc in order to write properly. As well as pens and paper, the writer requires time, provisions, space to write in, transport to a publisher and so forth.

5. "Skills and techniques of handling words...which come only with years of daily work..." Practice makes perfect.

The three latter points were already ideas that I was comfortable with, but during this morning's seminar the first two instigated much probing which I was a little uncomfortable with. They brought into question my very reasoning for writing. Why do I write? What "social command" am I, or should I, be obeying?

We begun to look at class a bit as the seminar progressed, and as discussion swayed between individuality and how the economic model for society affects broad groups of people I began to lose sight. I don't know if it's the early starts (9am, although 1 hour later than I usually start work), the intellectual intimidation (there's one or two very capable chaps who carry most of the debating), or my own ineptitude, but I've not really been able to break into the heat of the seminar and contribute too much thus far.

Looking back over at the points now, my current feeling towards Mayakovsky's propositions is one tempered by own personal feelings. Indeed there is a difficulty in identifying a social problem that can only be solved through poetical terms. My way of looking at it is through looking at events that are played out at a much grander scale than the group I represent.

Bankers' bonuses. The gross speculation game that to me makes up a lot of the financial sector and stock exchange is something that renders money into an abstract toy for psychological horseplay. This abstraction is not something that a person of my standing is able to physically contend with, and so a more abstract form of contention is required. I guess you could compare tackling this issue with poetry to Mayakovsky's sole example in the essay of answering a social command; where he sets out to oppose the sentiments expressed in his contemporary Esenin's suicide note with a poem of his own.

Mayakovsky mentions "group you represent" in his second point, which allows him avoid claims of reductionism with regards to social grouping. I feel it leaves his tenets open to individualistic interpretation - a group can be as all-encompassing or as exclusive as you like - which may not necessarily be what he was aiming for at the time, but in today's more pluralistic society it is more useful to have that flexibility.

I haven't really set out for myself why I actually write yet. I'm still trying to solidify Mayakovsky's ideas and several counter-arguments, so this entry is more of a revision exercise then an illumination. So far.

Why do I write? I guess I am compelled to write when an idea comes in to my head that I am unable to properly express through alternative means. Looking back at my previous pieces, this seems to have been the main reason for the work. This captures the necessity of writing that Mayakovsky was keen to stress, but doesn't really touch on the social side of things. Is it important that there be a social side to writing, and the necessity to write? After all, writing will always require a reader, that surely is its purpose.

Enjoyment of writing is another thing. I've always considered it a favourite past-time of mine, even when I haven't actively been following up on it, ever since I was a wee bairn. I started my MA in Creative and Critical Writing in order to improve and gain direction. Why do I find it enjoyable?

Perhaps, as is the case with a lot of Freud's ideas I've found, it is a question of agency. For me creative writing is a form of expression and an outlet for ideas that I am unable to do anything with in any other way. Being creative in general is a way of gaining control, much in the same way that cleaning a house is, but the level of agency is different in that it is a performative act. When writing I guess you are putting a distance between yourself and other people which gives you protection. Agency and protection, all in one fun package. That must appeal to me as someone that doesn't like putting themself "out there" in the flesh as it were. Very little of what I have written in the past is serious, and that there again is another form of escapism, if one is to consider that the real is serious business.

Mayakovsky's essay was a joy to read. I don't think I've read an essay that has both informed me and amused me equally to such lengths. I hope that his poetry is equally stimulating.

6 comments:

  1. Ranci, Ranci, Rancière!

    I think the fact that creative writing "is a performative act" is significant. Rancière went through a phase of talking about a poetics of politics, and for him the performative nature of literature is important (although he wouldn't describe it in those terms). As the blurb to his newly translated book 'Politic of Literature' says, "literature intervenes in the parceling out of space and time, place and identity, speech and noise, the visible and the invisible, that is the arena of the political". In telling a story one is (potentially) able to rupture the distribution of the visible and the sayable; you can make soemthing visible when it simply could not be seen before.

    So I'd do away with Mayakovsky's second point entirely. Politics is about the rupture of the visible and the sayable, not a form of identification.

    'Agency' as a word doesn't feature prominantly in Rancière, but I definitely get what you mean, and I think it fits with quite a lot of what he thinks. Of course it'd be entirely possible for someone to write something which in no way challenges the regime of the visible and the sayable, but it feels a bit like there's something innate in the process of writing that, even when you're being completely standard, gives you the sense of that process of rupture (even if it's not really rupture). That could be a dangerous thing too I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. surely, dw, writing could fulfill any number of ideological functions.

    you write:
    "it feels a bit like there's something innate in the process of writing that, even when you're being completely standard, gives you the sense of that process of rupture (even if it's not really rupture)."

    this is hopelessly qualified and distanced, and it is unclear whether you actually want to make the claim or not. "it feels"....."a bit"...."the sense"...."even if its not really..".

    are you saying that all writing exemplifies rancierian rupture, or aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello J,

    I'm not quite sure. Like I said, it feels a bit like there's something like a Rancièreian notion of rupture going on in writing in general, but I reckon it's only something which 'feels like it', not actually it. Maybe.

    I'd like to think I'm being "hopefully" qualified and distanced :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Philosophy and autobiography are the same thing.

    Think about that/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are we not identified through our politics?

    On a broad level. Autobiography is always by necessity a precisely individual study whereas philosophy can look at broader concepts, or those situated at a distance from the philosopher. Autobiography can touch on these also, but will always be rooted in the experiences of the individual and have less licence to get away from them. I'd probably argue that 'all autobiography is philosophy, but not all philosophy is autobiography".

    ReplyDelete
  6. "philosophy can look at broader concepts, or those situated at a distance from the philosopher."

    in a strictly abstract sense, I agree. But can a philosopher ever study something truly separate from himself and his own life?

    When DW says, in a slightly unsure way, that writing is instrinsically rupture, is not really saying that he likes to think of writing as a tool which can be used to initiate rupture, one which he sees himself as possessing?

    I would not criticise the advocacy of employing writing in this way, only the attempt to draw such a general conclusion as dw (almost) does.

    ReplyDelete