Monday 5 September 2011

The Capercaillie

"I used a low point of view and positioned myself between clumps of vegetation to try to get as clean and as natural a shot as possible of this wild rogue bird." - John.

 
 
This is the capercaillie. In order to counter-balance the gravity of my previous blog post and to make up for the lack of activity recently, I have decided to post about my new favourite bird.

My previous favourite bird was the chicken. Common, uninspiring, lacking in flavour; these were criticism that could be levelled at the chicken. Not so the capercaillie.

My least favourite bird is the toucan. It is a horrible looking creature. Its beak is vicious and its demeanour horrifying. It eats children with a sickening grin plastered across its face.

I really like the duck-billed platypus, but unfortunately it is not a bird. The duck-billed platypus is venomous. Many people think they look ridiculous but I find them charming.

The name Capercaillie comes from the original Gaelic, meaning horse of the woods. The largest ever recorded capercaillie in captivity weighed 7.2kg. They remind me of the chocobos in the Final Fantasy series of games, which were ridden in the same way as horses. They were much larger than the capercaillie.

Capercaillies are an endangered species as their natural habitat is being gradually eroded. There are many conservation projects on Scotland that work to protect suitable breeding areas and develop new ones.

I wish I had a giant capercaillie that I could ride about Brighton. It would be large enough to fit both me and either Amy McDonald or KT Tunstall on the back and we could ride off up onto the Sussex Downs and have a picnic. Their partners would be slightly annoyed by this.

The capercaillie would be too large to stay in our flat so I would have to look at stabling. This would either be taken care of in Woodingdean or Lewes. In between trips I would allow it to graze in the New Steine garden.

I would hate to have a nightmare about a toucan. Imagine lying in your bed, being awoken in the middle of the night by a tapping on your window. Roused from slumber, you would stagger up and throw back the curtains, to be met with the shocking sight of a dark shadow with wicked orange beak! As lightning strikes, illuminating the hellish fiend, you swoon and fall to the floor! The last thing you hear is the crack of glass and relentless, furious tapping...

I would like to think that there is a real ale in existence called Capercaillie. If so, hopefully it would taste like a beautiful oaty forest.

The forests of Scotland are magnificent, and would be more so were the capercaillie as common as the swift or raven.

Oh! Capercaillie! In all the world beneath the firmament there is not beast nor bird as wondrous as thee!


No comments:

Post a Comment