Wednesday 29 June 2011

...as if you have a choice...

Light up, light up.

My good friend Michael Walsh has gotten me into some sticky situations in the past, but this one could potentially be the stickiest. He has managed to persuade me into taking part in the British 10k Run in London next Sunday, helping him represent his charity of choice, the Samson Centre; a voluntary initiative of the MS Therapy Group (Guildford) that aims to establish and maintain a day-centre dedicated to the treatment and support of Multiple Sclerosis in West Surrey.

There is no doubting the worthiness of the cause, but charity endurance trials are not my speciality. I have quite happily played in football tournaments, performed at gigs, baked a cake and hiked around the Surrey Hills in a dress and tights before, but the last time I tried anything truly strenuous I failed horribly. Last summer I entered a sponsored swim at the infamous Pells Pool in Lewes to raise money for the pool, the hospital and the football team. It is a nightmarish place; Olympic sized and fed from a freshwater stream, enabling it to be colder than the sea. I felt thoroughly sick after both times I went into it and managed a feeble 5 lengths in total. Fortunately a lot of people sponsored me lump sums rather than a fixed fee per length...

I'm not much of a long distance runner. At primary school I was nearly lapped in an 800m race, and it's not really gotten much better since then. As this run is under a fortnight away I decided it would be a good idea to start my training yesterday. A hearty evening jog down from my flat to the Marina, up to the end of the breakwater and then all the way back to the Palace Pier to finish. Dressed in t-shirt, shorts and my ragged astroturfs, it was going to be great.

Here is a brief summary of my initial thoughts from the early stages of the jog:

1. I need some actual running shoes, as these astroturfs are making my feet hurt
2. I need some new astroturfs
3. I'll have to wait a few months to buy them because...
4. I need to buy some new walking boots, a new sleeping bag and maybe a tent for August and those things cost crazy money!
5. I hope that's not a stitch...

It was a painful start, and I wasn't a particularly happy bunny by the time I reached Dukes Mound. Fortunately, as I came down from there towards the Volks railway station I happened to bump into Clare Silver and Emma Combes which was lovely as I haven't seen much of them for the last month or so. After a brief chat whilst jogging/dancing on the spot, I was back off and up onto the breakwater. This encounter was revitalising. It may be an idea to arrange for there to be some charming girls (or excitingly dressed boys) stationed along the route, perhaps a couple every kilometre, in order to give me much needed morale boosts. If this could happen I would be extremely grateful.

The breakwater is awesome, especially when sunny. I wonder how the fishers would feel about people going up there, taking up valuable space for just sitting, reading and eating cookies? That is a project for another sunny evening no doubt.

As I set off back the way I had come I became more conscious of my heavy breathing and sweating. I could honestly not tell if I was sweating or crying, such was the volume of moisture trickling down from the corners of my eyes. We McIntosh are a moist bunch unfortunately. I feel guilty for ridiculing Ivan Ljubicic for wearing his headband now, and am considering utilising one myself.

Eventually I made it to the Pier, having been in perpetual motion the whole way which I was fairly proud of. As I walked back to the flat with the summer rays fading across the sea, I felt as I had felt on the first day I moved to Brighton. The feeling of relaxation, the sense of casual occasion, of extended holiday. It was back and it felt good. Endorphins are lovely things.

Upon getting home more sweat than man and consulting one of the myriad maps in our living room, I discovered that my route had only constituted 5k. I would have to do that distance twice over, back to back, in one go. Arghghghghghghgh.

More training sessions are required. I will hopefully be able to persuade some to come get joggy wid it on Friday evening before I head up to Nottingham on Saturday for Michael Walsh's birthday. He told me to watch The Hangover again before I head north. I am apprehensive. I hope he doesn't plan to put things in everyone's drinks.

In the meantime, it would be great if you would consider donating some money towards the project. You can donate money to the cause via my justgiving page: http://www.justgiving.com/james-mcintosh11one/

Please be generous :) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment