Saturday 23 April 2016

Commuting draft poem 2

These two poems were mainly written to pass the time and practice writing poems to specificish metres, rather than making any "big" points. Probably influenced a wee bit by Brian Bilston.

* * * * * * * *

EGO TO PLEASE


Walking out beside the sea
My own voice in my ears
I close my eyes and take in those
Imaginary cheers
Our latest record is complete
New songs to celebrate
Potent lyrics with every word
Sung with delicious weight
It sounds like something new and special
Intelligent and brave
Something vital and important
Something worth a save
Something that this rigid poem
Cannot hope to match
Something fluid and exciting
And far more up to scratch
I wonder though if all of this
Is biased to my taste
And only seems so beautiful
Because it bears my face
And if another person’s voice
I’d heard beside the sea
Those songs would not seem so anthemic

As they weren’t sung by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment