Wednesday 12 December 2012

Violent Metempsychoses pt. 3

THE WAITING ROOM

Another failed sacrifice,” intoned that now familiar voice. I could see the furry shape in front of myself, shielded by the mists. I could feel a vague sense of shame for having returned to this room so swiftly.

A father and a partner. I would have thought you would have been happy with the chance you had been given.” I could definitely sense something else at work behind its calm words.

You should have seen what was at work behind the situations you placed yourself within.” I could definitely detect a new edge to the voice. Mmmmm. “I told you previously that everything has a story. You have not been heeding this.” Mmmmm, I certainly had not, forgot about that, caught in the moment each time. I could feel judgement again.

“What are you?” I blurted out, out of the blue. I had no idea why I asked it, nor where these words came from.

I am a different story to you. I am the one that is here in this room and does not have to make the choice of going through that door one more time, or staying put, learning to be at ease with the endings of stories past.”

Is that all it came down to? Being content with how my story ended? But don't we write our own stories? Could I not rewrite it in a much better way? Of course it wasn't just about my story, but about Sarah's as well. And Josh's. Illiterate worm. I could do this. I would do this, it was the correct thing to do.

I see that you have made your decision. It does not come as a surprise to me. I wish you the best of luck, and that I hope you can do what is best for all.”

The yellow eyes were staring straight at me, with all the fervour of a crowd. They were inside of me, probing my thoughts, a thousand hands feeling out what I was thinking. It wasn't just this furry thing in front of me, it felt like the hands of history were doing this, appraising me like an omniscient auditor. I couldn't hold its gaze. I flew for the door, eager for the trial to be over.

*   *   *

I, AT THE CENTRE OF THE AIR.

Hanging, suspended within structures crystalline
                                                  Waiting. I am hungry.

                                                  Waiting.

                                                  Taut, silent, hungry
At the corner of the infinite periphery astride air
                                                  Waiting. I am hungry.

                                                  Waiting.

                                                  Forming a path
From abyss to abyss, hungry and patient weaver
                                                  Of text whilst waiting

                                                  Waiting.

                                                  For characters to come
Enter this story, add their words to the ghostly structure
                                                  Floating in the void

                                                  Waiting.

                                                  Hungry for a conclusion
For the lines to quiver and tremble at approaching agency
                                                  Eager for an end to such

                                                  Waiting.

                                                  The woven strands shake
Sending orders to issue forth, intercept, retrieve, absorb
                                                  Surround in words
                                                  Wrapped and captive
                                                  Until the subject is the one

                                                  Waiting.

                                                  The strands deceive
The structure is hewn and falls softly to a silent rest
So silent silence skirts the periphery and scales the real
Alien superstructure the strands of fate adhere to
No longer able to wait patiently when impatience has torn
The woven fabric of the wait, a story built and finished
                                                  By one unable to read
                                                  As a weaver reads vibrations
In the text, in the patterns and the strands of the asking
This agent could not read and was afraid of what he knew not
So from the periphery an exodus to alienation and further
Away from pursuit and heavy judgement from above
Amidst broken frames of fallen structure, to be rebuilt anew
                                                  In a different, freer land
                                                  Away from this illiterate
And this land that had proven to be barren since text-birth
So I, at the centre of the air, ascend contrary to gravity
And stand instead upon the inverse surface, reversed horizon
Eyes appraising the foundations for which the woven path
May be retrod once more, after the vibrations have departed
                                                  I feel the illiterate beneath
                                                  Sending tremors into the ether
Trembling and anxious, and I have this mad compulsion
An instinctive blurting, far from erudite, irrational
And I must weave downwards, descend, fall, go down
Dropping like a weight enacting gravity's ritual towards
This illiterate, as though I have a story to weave for them
                                                  And the impatient illiterate
                                                  Can no longer be kept

                                                  Waiting.

                                                  The new crystalline silk
                                                  Liquid weave unwavering
Permits my going down, the woven text suffers for it
This is not part of a natural structure but an alien one
Feeling forced upon myself, bent over backwards
And enveloped fast within my own ghostly coccoon
Though I can see through spectral structure I am stuck
                                                  And compelled onwards
                                                  Tied to descending hungrily
The vibrations in the air are fearful and terrible
Though the agent has perceived the intent behind the weave
Followed the pattern of the structure and traced the lines
Of silken glass connecting one story to another
And the illiterate has fallen, gone down far faster than gravity
                                                  His structure has toppled
                                                  Fall finally ending all this

                                                  Waiting.

                                                  My hungry impatient waiting
                                                  And now the threads tell me
That this illiterate has fallen from its ladder through fear
At seeing a fellow weaver go down to it against its will
And in trying to evade fell too far, too much and too hard
And the tremors send cracks through the air shaking the lines
And make a noise that summons the illiterate's partner
And she, for she is a she, a she that would consume the story
And would envelope the male for that is as she is want to do
And she comes and sees I at the centre of the air
And she encases me within a glass coccoon of her own
And I know that she is a story teller as well
And I know that the structure she is imposing is a story
                                                  That I have heard before
And her tears are ones that I have heard before
                                                  In another story entirely
And the tears to my silken structure
And the tears for her fallen partner
I feel them as shiverings of the same story
And I am caught in the middle of this snare
And before I am thrown to a cold, wet end
I wonder why this has been chosen as the end
Of our stories.

1 comment:

  1. And that was that. I feel as though I was constrained by the word limit. I'd like to go back and give a bit more time to each of the animal narratives, make them a bit more involved, dive a bit deeper into the characters. I think the dog voice needs most development.

    ReplyDelete